Student Atheists of Washburn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Movie Night: Watch Jesus Camp

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:18 pm by The Divine Phallusy

We'll be watching "Jesus Camp" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0486358/), a documentary about religious indoctrination at the "Kids on Fire" camp. After the movie, we'll discuss whether or not religious indoctrination is tantamount to child abuse. Popcorn and drinks will

I've rescheduled the movie night to NEXT Sunday (April 14) from 5-7:30. We have the Blair Room (in the LLC) reserved from 5-9pm, which is on the bottom floor.

Anyone is free to join us and bring their friends, whether they're theistic, atheistic, pantheistic, or apatheistic!

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» How do I join?
Religion, Homosexuality, and Mental disorders. EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 4:28 pm by Q.D.B.

» Curious about joining?
Religion, Homosexuality, and Mental disorders. EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 3:12 am by Q.D.B.

» Virtual Reality - IllumiRoom
Religion, Homosexuality, and Mental disorders. EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 8:27 am by Guest

» They're getting closer and closer to virtual reality... soon.
Religion, Homosexuality, and Mental disorders. EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 4:59 pm by The Divine Phallusy

» Like a child telling an adult they won't be getting presents form Santa Claus.
Religion, Homosexuality, and Mental disorders. EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 12:11 am by The Divine Phallusy

» Religion, Homosexuality, and Mental disorders.
Religion, Homosexuality, and Mental disorders. EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 9:14 pm by The Divine Phallusy

» Everyone is welcome!
Religion, Homosexuality, and Mental disorders. EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 9:13 pm by The Divine Phallusy

» Movie Night: Watch Jesus Camp
Religion, Homosexuality, and Mental disorders. EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 9:18 pm by The Divine Phallusy

» NC to try and nullify separation of church and state
Religion, Homosexuality, and Mental disorders. EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 9:16 pm by The Divine Phallusy

Top posting users this week
No user

Religion, Homosexuality, and Mental disorders.

2 posters

Go down

Religion, Homosexuality, and Mental disorders. Empty Religion, Homosexuality, and Mental disorders.

Post by RationalMind Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:24 pm

Today in Psychology class we began studying psychological disorders. When our professor told us that homosexuality used to be thought of as a mental disability I had a rush of adrenaline hit me. Possibly a slight rise in blood pressure. Keeping in mind the classifications for a disorder (harmful- has negative effects, dysfunctional and disabling) I began to write;
When comparing the negative effects religion has on a community with the negative effects of homosexuality (which is almost ENTIRELY due to religion) wouldn't now as we are evolving, religion be more characteristic of a psychological disorder over homosexuality? Religion has extensively stunted our (nationally and internationally) social evolution harming several minorities. Religion drives people to murder, wars, suicide bombers, genocide etc. As far as dysfunctional? Atheist have rightfully earned the name rationalists because religion is IRRATIONAL.
I propose the mass delusion of religion shall be classified as a psychological disorder!
I am not being mean, I am not being offensive I am simply stating the facts here!

Kristin

RationalMind

Back to top Go down

Religion, Homosexuality, and Mental disorders. Empty Re: Religion, Homosexuality, and Mental disorders.

Post by The Divine Phallusy Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:50 pm

I don't think that's too radical of an idea, Kristin, it seems reasonable to say that something which contradicts known reality and sound rational argument is definitionally delusional. But I must say that I don't quite understand your usage of the word "evolution," as humans aren't really much more "evolved" in a biological sense now than we were 1,000 years ago. If you meant evolve in metaphorical sense for cultural evolution, then yeah, I see what you mean there; we evolve, culturally.

I also must politely disagree with your equation of atheists with rationalists.
While the majority of atheists tend to have the traits of being skeptical of claims, generally scientifically literate, and an application of logical thought along critical thinking, this doesn't mean all atheists are rationalists.

Rationalism is a philosophical position which stems from philosophers like Rene Descartes, whom asserted that people have "innate" ideas (ideas, Descartes said, like God, that is, even babies had the idea of God, innately), that people can only know things a-priori through reason alone, and they dismissed empirical and natural sciences along with the scientific method.

As you can see, atheism isn't entailed by rationalism, but atheism is a likely indicator of one being rational. I also have several atheists who are my friends that believe various irrationalities, like that gravity isn't real, according to one.

I'd rather call myself an empiricist, because they stress the importance of sense-perception, and contend that a scientifically verified, evidence-based investigation is the best way to know things.

Just a minor nit pick, you may want to change your font color, it's pretty hard to read Very Happy
The Divine Phallusy
The Divine Phallusy

Back to top Go down

Religion, Homosexuality, and Mental disorders. Empty Re: Religion, Homosexuality, and Mental disorders.

Post by RationalMind Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:34 pm

I appreciate the feedback

RationalMind

Back to top Go down

Post by The Divine Phallusy Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:14 pm

No problem! Hope to hear more of your opinion on things, because you seem to be on to some pretty interesting ideas!
The Divine Phallusy
The Divine Phallusy

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum