Student Atheists of Washburn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Movie Night: Watch Jesus Camp

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:18 pm by The Divine Phallusy

We'll be watching "Jesus Camp" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0486358/), a documentary about religious indoctrination at the "Kids on Fire" camp. After the movie, we'll discuss whether or not religious indoctrination is tantamount to child abuse. Popcorn and drinks will

I've rescheduled the movie night to NEXT Sunday (April 14) from 5-7:30. We have the Blair Room (in the LLC) reserved from 5-9pm, which is on the bottom floor.

Anyone is free to join us and bring their friends, whether they're theistic, atheistic, pantheistic, or apatheistic!

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» How do I join?
Best method of drawing non-atheists to the SAW forum? EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 4:28 pm by Q.D.B.

» Curious about joining?
Best method of drawing non-atheists to the SAW forum? EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 3:12 am by Q.D.B.

» Virtual Reality - IllumiRoom
Best method of drawing non-atheists to the SAW forum? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 8:27 am by Guest

» They're getting closer and closer to virtual reality... soon.
Best method of drawing non-atheists to the SAW forum? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 4:59 pm by The Divine Phallusy

» Like a child telling an adult they won't be getting presents form Santa Claus.
Best method of drawing non-atheists to the SAW forum? EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 12:11 am by The Divine Phallusy

» Religion, Homosexuality, and Mental disorders.
Best method of drawing non-atheists to the SAW forum? EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 9:14 pm by The Divine Phallusy

» Everyone is welcome!
Best method of drawing non-atheists to the SAW forum? EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 9:13 pm by The Divine Phallusy

» Movie Night: Watch Jesus Camp
Best method of drawing non-atheists to the SAW forum? EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 9:18 pm by The Divine Phallusy

» NC to try and nullify separation of church and state
Best method of drawing non-atheists to the SAW forum? EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 9:16 pm by The Divine Phallusy

Top posting users this week
No user

Best method of drawing non-atheists to the SAW forum?

2 posters

Go down

Best method of drawing non-atheists to the SAW forum? Empty Best method of drawing non-atheists to the SAW forum?

Post by The Divine Phallusy Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:15 pm

I think we need to be sure that this isn't just a bunch of atheists knocking other religions down or (gasp) making strawmen of theistic points of view.

Any ideas on how we can start to draw in some active theists to the forum?
The Divine Phallusy
The Divine Phallusy

Back to top Go down

Best method of drawing non-atheists to the SAW forum? Empty Re: Best method of drawing non-atheists to the SAW forum?

Post by Jaibird Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:45 pm

I think the first step we should take is to make those posters and to make them in a way that appeals to everyones belief system. We also need more content on the forum within the club. So please everyone post links, opinions, and more importantly questions regarding the various religions. That way if we do get theists they can answer them for you. Just remember if things start to get heated take it to the Debate forum.
Jaibird
Jaibird
Admin

https://atheistsofwashburn.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Best method of drawing non-atheists to the SAW forum? Empty Re: Best method of drawing non-atheists to the SAW forum?

Post by The Divine Phallusy Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:56 am

So, do you think "It's a wonder what you'll find with an open mind" may coem across as condescending to theists when it's on an atheist poster?

Because if it is, we could always go with something simple and positive like "Good. Without God."

But I was thinking beyond posters, even. Perhaps draw from the online community more, even if they aren't from Washburn.
The Divine Phallusy
The Divine Phallusy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Divine Phallusy Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:51 pm

Ah yes, I just remembered. As much as I like the logo on the forum (and I think it should stay), I don't think it should stay on the flyers... I think it not only wastes valuable real estate on the tiny piece of paper, but it also makes us seem glib or a little bit too "sciencey"? As much as I fucking love science, it might put off some who would have been otherwise interested.

Also, I think it'll promote the false assumption that some theists make which is that evolution necessitates atheism, or that atheism is some how tied to evolution, when in reality it does not. Evolution doesn't rule out god as an option, it simply makes him not necessary to explain the unity and diversity of life.

But then again, it DOES do its job on the wall o' flyers - attract attention. I just don't think that's enough of a reason to not replace it with something a bit more... Productive.
The Divine Phallusy
The Divine Phallusy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaibird Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:36 pm

I couldn't agree with you more. I was hesitant to put it as the forum banner but I think it's the best logo design we have so far. I do think that evolution is a fact and shouldn't have to be "believed in" but I understand what a theist or someone who hasn't accepted evolution might think and since we want to bring in their crowd as well as our own we should keep it simple. I'll start working on it tonight.
Jaibird
Jaibird
Admin

https://atheistsofwashburn.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Divine Phallusy Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:06 pm

Good to hear! I hope we can start getting them up this week or next. I just need Nick's email and I'll be able to re-affiliate the group with the Secular Student Alliance. And yes, I think most rational people (not to mention 97% of biologists or so) can agree, the phenomena that the theory of evolution by natural selection explains are facts. You either understand the theory of evolution or you don't. You either accept that things evole over time or you don't. There is no "believe" in evolution as a phenomena.

I do, however, make a distinction between the fact that things evolve and the theory that explains those facts involved in the process of evolution. I do this becasuse people can "not believe" in the theory of evolution, although I only say this for people who have refrained belief simply as the default "I don't know of/I haven't heard of the theory of evolution because I live in an isolated area, 3rd world country, don't have access to internet or education, etc." But usually, the people who claim to "not believe" in evolution as a phenomena that has been observed aren't using that phrase in this connotation. Instead, they most often fall into the "I say I don't believe but what I really mean by that is I don't understand evolution" camp.
The Divine Phallusy
The Divine Phallusy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down